Friday 17 April 2015

Q3 What have you learned from your audience feedback?

The first thing I did when answering this question was look back at my audience research I did before making my actual music video.


These are the questions I asked on my questionnaire.

One of the things I learned from my questions is that asking a variety of people who listen to different music to pop-punk is that they will give me the stereotypical view and state the expected conventions of a pop-punk music video or artist. This made me think about Tessa Perkins' theory because I was thinking of including some of the things the people I asked came up with, which shows how stereotypes come from somewhere as whilst I was analysing pop-punk music videos many of those things appeared in them.








Here I have asked two completely different people as the male is 21 and the female is 17, however both people came up with the same ideas which I felt showed the stereotyping coming through. These also weren't part of my target audience, however they have heard of many pop-punk bands, which shows how pop-punk can still be popular and make it into the charts as many of the bands they have mentioned have done.


I purposely didn't do much audience research just because I had an idea in my head already of what I wanted my video to look like and what narrative/s I wanted to follow. I think doing the generic questionnaire to people around the 17-21 age bracket was effective in the way that it gave me many ideas to use in my music video without stretching from my original ideas, by sticking to my target audience age and by sticking to stereotypes and conventions of pop-punk which made the genre clear to the audience.

I did some charts on my pre production polls that I posted on my blogs.

The first chart is on the preferred genre. In this case, I listened to what the audience preferred as they voted pop-punk. I also wanted to do pop-punk anyway because I feel it is a good genre to stick to conventions.
 The next chart I did was on the gender of the people viewing my blog. The results show that only females have been looking/voting on my blog and I feel this shows how using a female as my artist is useful based on this poll outcome as it means I can create more of a role model and create my products to attract to the female audience.







I also did a poll on what people think the most important convention is. The outcome was cinematography therefore I was motivated on concentrating on what the shots looked like and including different varieties of shots in order to make it look aesthetically pleasing.






 


Finally, the last poll I did was on what people thought would be the best narrative. The outcome was abstract however some people did vote for a narrative, therefore I tried to interpret both into my video and ancillary texts in order to make my product more versatile.


I did a target audience profile because I felt that it was important to show who I expect will listen to the album that I have tried to promote and I think it shows how I have taken into consideration the interests that my audience will have and what magazines they read.

I also think that I have created a good role model based on this profile as I think my artist shares things with 'Hannah White' therefore she will be more appealing and seem like a real person, rather than someone who could be potentially be seen as intimidating and fake like a pop artist like Rita Ora.













I also think that because things are so much more accessible because of the internet and social media, my artist will be discovered in ways like that because my artist will be able to promote things herself for free and reach an audience that chose to follow and listen to her. I did some audience research after I finished my product by creating a twitter account for my artist and promoted her music video.

Doing this meant that the audience could also interact with my artist and share their own opinions which is very helpful as it means that the next promotion package my artist does will be able to be influenced by the feedback I got back from them and make them want to listen to her more.




Blogger also provided me with the viewing statistics of my blog which I thought was extremely helpful as it gave me an idea of who is actually viewing my blog and provides me with information on who my target audience should be.

After I took a look at the statistics, I realised that the potential target audience for my products are likely to be from the United States and the UK due to the fact that a lot more people have viewed my blog from there than they have other countries.


No comments:

Post a Comment